Thursday, September 17, 2009

...and so it begins





















So, I have finally managed to get a chance to sit down and start this thing. Of course, with about ten days left to d-day, there is a ton of things to be done...ahh!

So the visa is in, the plane ticket booked, and a small pile of clothing is starting to collect dust in the corner of my room; things are slowly starting to add up. I finally met the two girls that will be living with me in Calatayud, Emily and Karli! It will definitely be a most interesting adventure with these two ladies! Also, I have been talking to some of the women that will be mentoring me within the school system while there, and they all seem extremely nice!

Ok, so now some of the details of my saga. I will be leaving America on the 29th of September, 2009 (sorry mom and dad! (it's their 25th anniversary)) out of Boston on a plane that is bound for Madrid. I have an orientation in Madrid for the first two days with all of the other auxiliares that will be teaching in Aragon and some surrounding provinces. Finally, on Friday, October 2, I will board a train bound for Calatayud, which is about two hours northeast of Madrid.

Calatayud is a small-ish town of 22,000 people but set up like a city, so it is extremely walkable. (Calatayud is outlined in red, above) Aside from the three province capitals within Aragon, Calatayud is the next largest city, making it well-connected to Madrid and Zaragoza by train and bus. It has 4 elementary schools and 2 upper level colegios, equivalent to our high and middle schools, I will be stationed in two of the elementary schools, Augusta Bilibilis and Francisco de Goya, teaching 4th, 5th, and 6th graders how to speak English! Oy, these kids are actually going to have to deal with my Rhode Island accent! Look out! I will be teaching about 12 hours a week, splitting my time between the two schools, and filling my free time with some private tutoring. I can't wait! It's going to be exciting.

Now, I know you're all wondering, where am I going to live you ask? Well, good question. For the first week or so, my new friends and I will most likely live in a hostel until we find a more permanent apartment. Hopefully we find something! I am only taking one suitcase and a duffel backpack with me, so I won't have very much. Furnished apartments are definitely going to be the first choice....

It's hard to even think straight sometimes, I have that much information rolling around in my head, I'm sure I will add much more as it makes sense!


Au revoir for now!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're leaving the country at 7pm tonight :-( we must find a way to come visit!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara!! I miss your smiling face and warm hugs! MSC isnt the same w/out YOU! Sounds like you are having an amazing time! SOOO happy for you! Getting to be quite the chef, too! I'm expecting you to cook up some of thses recipes when we have a get together @ our house!
    Love YOU LOTS!!!
    Auntie April XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete