Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Peacocks, turkey, and Picasso....oh my?

Well hello there, hope all is well. Life in Spain has insisted on passing by way to quickly. Like, way to quickly. I mean, there are aspects of this lifestyle that just feel right sometimes, that you don't notice the world passing on around ya. I mean everyday I wake up to this while I eat my bran flakes....

My living room window


But I guess I should start at the beginning. After I dropped mom and dad off at the airport I decided that it was time to see contemporary Spanish art: first stop, La Reina Sofia. Most well known for the museum that houses Picasso's Guernica. The museum consists of artists from all walks of life, the one commonality is that they are Spanish, (I mean, a few outsiders got in there, but you know how it goes.) My little added bonus to it all was that the museum had many works by Salvador Dali and of course, Federico Garcia Lorca.....can you imagine my excitement?! (There was a lot of it.)

Guernica, with man. Just to show size.
Original drawing by F. Garcia Lorca
Letter from G. Lorca to Salvador Dali

After my Madrid adventure and the parents had left, life came to a pattern. Sleep, school, tutoring, gym. I mean, there's nothing wrong with this pattern. It's just how life happens I guess. So yes, I joined a gym....its call Sporttake, and it's the "trendy" gym in town. Ha. It's fun...and let me tell you, taking a gym class in spanish is tough! (Next time you're in a yoga pose, you let me know how you react when someone starts describing in Spanish!) It's fun though....They offer all types of classes so it doesn't get boring.

School is good, there are of couse good days and bad days, but when is it not like that. The kids always have something new for me to experience, that's for sure. Today I had 22 fifth graders sing Happy Birthday to me....it was very sweet! Which they then proceeded to sing to me, "Happy Birthday to you, we went to the zoo, we saw a big monkey, and we thought it was you!" haha. That was not expected.

Well Calatayud has its own resident peacock family (pavos reales.....royal turkeys) and they like flocks of ducks, have preference when crossing the street....



Well, as you know, Spain doesn't celebrate good ol' turkey day, so us gals had to make do with tacos, which I'm sure the first pilgrims thoroughly enjoyed with their native counterparts. ha. On Saturday, the three of us decided to make a Thanksgiving feast for our english professors from our schools, totaling 11 of us! and yes, we actually cooked a turkey! (karli and I) and it came out awesome! There were sweet potatoes and green beans, all the regular old fixings....the only thing missing from the table was the cranberry sauce, a tragedy. Apparently they just don't believe in cranberry sauce here. terrible.... Overall the night was a success. The teachers enjoyed themselves immensely and literally want our recipes. We have to throw a shoutout to our moms who helped us through the turkey ordeal....it is scary cooking a full bird in your oven!

Overall, Thanksgiving was fun...there was no parade and no football...but c'est la vie. Friday, on to Granada!!!! (my excitement is overflowing...) Birthday saturday, no better way to spend it than in a city a love....(obviously it'd be nice if the family were in that city too....but when in spain, next best thing, right?) More adventures to come!


cooking!
before....
after!
eating!
spain family!

besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment